02 October 2006

Let Me Explain Something About the Dude.



So, Lebowskifest. Star Trek convention where people are concious of the stupidity of being so devoted to a strip of celluloid.

Most people, anyway. We met a guy who goes by the name "Dragon" because he taught a guy how to do a very specific kind of roundhouse kick to a target above shoulder height, at the initial Lebowskifest. For the record, "Dragon" is now the word you use when you're looking for a word between "tool," "jackass," and "dweeb."

As in, "what do I care if he moderates the Lebowskifest message board? He's such a fucking dragon, dude."

Which, I have to say, the entire Academic Symposium, with the possible exception of Pulitzer Prize-winning movie critic for the Washington Post, and frequent NPR contributor Joe Morgenstern, was full of fucking dragons. Although, oddly, the four in our Memphis-Muncie contingent all had major life revelations as a result of said symposium.

The same group that puts on Lebowskifest, by the way, also sponsors Louisville's Roller Derby team, the Derby City Roller Girls. There must be something about me, of which I've never been quite concious, but tough, goth-y girls such as the derby city roller girls just seem to have a thing for me. I've always liked a woman who can pursue what she wants, but it kinda scared me. Proof and hilarious Trisler-ass-shaking footage later in the week.

Meantime, YouTube videos I was told over the weekend that I should find:

For reference, an unedited clip: "They Peed on My Rug"


The one befitting the title of the blog: "The Big He-Bowski"


My Little Lebowski


Warning, there are approximately 281 uses of profanity in this, "The Fucking Short Version." Still, it is a testament to the acting in this movie that so much meaning remains with the movie edited down to almost just one word.


That's it. In summation: Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

No comments: