20 December 2006

Because Brian May is actually kinda foxy.



And because Abby inspired me to dig through my Daniel Nester books to find what he had written about "I Want to Break Free" (for the record, four poems, four versions of the song).

Now, for your edification, I offer to you the following copyright violations--four poems (with footnotes intact)about Queen's "I Want to Break Free" by Daniel Nester:


I Want to Break Free

In 1984 I joined the Official International Queen Fan Club, and shortly thereafter called their London office at the number off The Works sleeve notes. I was home sick from school, and I wanted to talk to someone--anyone--who actually liked Queen.

"Hello from America!" I announce.
"Had the boys been around today? Have you seen them?"
Of course they hadn't! No!

I scold myself, and think of anything else to say... 1



I Want to Break Free (Extended Mix)2

Back from another record store splurge. Before me I have four interview picture discs, each bears the likeness of a different band member. But was it worth it to buy all four? My friends Bob and Tom want to know.

Weary of my excessive Queen purchases, they insist I come over and assess the memorabilia's real worth. We fire up the turntable. First picture disc: Freddie in tights, circa 1977.

The first interview question, posed to Brian May: "Have you played Leeds before?"



I Want to Break Free (Extended Version)

Second picture disc: Brian onstage, bathed in orange backlight.
Probably an American tour, Jazz or Game.
First interview question: "Have you played Leeds before?"

Bob and Tom snicker and cheer. Third picture disc: Roger in Sunglasses, a shot from an 1987 solo album junket. First interview question: "Have you played Leeds before?"
Bob and Tom, their knees in World Cup celebration now, begin chanting...

Leeds, Leeds, Leeds.



I Want to Break Free (Single Edit)

Fourth picture disc: John, sleepy-eyed in a turtleneck, his white-boy afro, early Works era.
First interview question: "Have you played--" Bob and Tom in a torrent of laughs, and I can't hear the rest of the interviewer's question.

I trudge home to listen to them alone with headphones, determined to discover the outcome for myself--without the ceaseless distractions of Philistine non-Queen fans. That fourth question: Yes, "Leeds." Four fucking Leeds interview picture discs.

Jesus Christ. The money I have spent on this fucking band.






1. Video Notes:
Brian's nuclear dream. This is real, he'd think as a boy.
Roger's CHOOSE LIFE t-shirt
Freddie's wearing arrow-printed pants again.
John's highlighted afro.

2. Tale told here--"extravaganza within an extravaganza," as Brian puts it--as a parallel of the official release of four different versions of the 45 of this single. Separate photos of Roger, John, Brian, and Freddie, all with Works-like interlocking machinery, rotary wheels in stark gray and black and white. Clearly trying to project a masculine image, this being the album following their disco album. Rolling Stone calls The Works--and I don't know where Capitol Records got the payola money for this--the "Led Zeppelin II of the '80s" (Paul Puterbaugh, April 12, 1984, three stars). This was before the band dresses up as women for the video in a send-up/pastiche of Coronation Street. At the time, there was no way I could convince other 16-year olds that Queen was a heterosexual rock band. All was lost.

No comments: